The key to happiness is love. If you train your brain to love everything around you and embrace every moment in your day, you will become more grateful for the things you have, and feel happier. Studies have shown that an effective route to happiness is not necessarily through experiencing major events such as getting married or buying a house. Rather it is the small pleasures in life that make us smile.
1. Taking the time for an indulgent bubble bath after a long day at work.
2. Reaching out to a friend for help when you need it the most
3. Asking a friend about their day and talking through their problem
4. Sleeping in until noon because your partner took the kids (and their noise) out for brunch
5. Taking off your shoes because your roommate just washed the floor
6. Watching your kid’s face light up when you pick them up from school
7. Saying thank you to the barista who makes you the perfect cup of coffee
8. Finding the silver lining in getting splashed on a rainy day
9. Landing that dream job because your hard work paid off.
10. Holding an elevator for the frazzled stranger who looks like they could use a break.
11. Ordering take-out, and watching your favourite show on Netflix in your pyjamas at 3 in the afternoon
12. Buying coffee for your team when you’re stuck working late.
13. Cooking a simple dinner for your family so that you can spend time together
14. Taking the time to explore your dreams to see where they take you.
15. When you both have good news and you want to hear theirs first
16. Going for a hike and picking up any garbage you see lying around.